Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Thrift Store Finds





















I love to thrift shop. When I do thrift shop, I usually scope things out in this order...Dishes and things for kitchen, linens, furniture, then art. My husband goes to the book and record section. We all have our interests! I'd like to show you a few great finds, and how I incorporated them into my home. I love knowing that people will walk by something for weeks, and think its trash, or cheap, and then I get to discover this little treasure and help make it shine. As you know, I love stitchery, so Im always on the lookout for that. This first gem I found is so delicate, and I love the primitive look of it. Best of all, it only cost me .35 cents!










Here is a picture of my bedroom (the dirty laundry and shoes are hidden behind me) All three pictures on my wall cost me a total of $5.00, and they are absolutely beautful. (By the way, the headboard was a thriftstore find as well for $8.00. Most of my home is either someones trash or thriftstore stuff. Most people wouldnt brag about that, i guess! :) The middle picture was covered with dust, and the frame would be considered by most as ugly and damaged, but I thought it was just beautiful. It also has a signature on it, which makes it much more personal to me. Its made with real leaves, and the butterfly is real too. Heres a close up






The two pieces on either side are colorful birds stitched onto fabric. The frames are a 70s olive green. Most people hate that color, but I dont know why. You can make it work with reds, yellows, and blues just beautifully. Please look at the bigger photos in my pix under domestic goddess to see the thread more detailed.





Lastly, I found this oil painting at the Bonner Springs thrift store. The colors are fabulous, and fits in with my kitchen well. I have many more pieces, but these are a few of my favorites. Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of awful paintings in thrift stores, but the fun for me is discovering a masterpiece!

No comments:

Post a Comment