Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I saw you cross a crowded room while i was at a party
i was finishing up school and you were in the army
stationed on the east coast, your friends were kidding you
about the place where you come from,
as young men often do.

I caught your eye as you passed by and you flashed your midwest smile
and I knew that right there and then I'd like to know you for awhile
We took a walk, you held my hand, and i never let it go
but before we became man and wife you said Ive got to let you know

Though the shoreline has its beauty, before you are my bride
I hope that you can love me for, my Big Square state of mind

I wasnt sure just what you meant but where you were I'd go
we landed into KCI in bitter ice and snow
That spring we had tornados and then the flood of '93
left me with a distaste for this part of the country

You assured me there were other things
and if I'd only try
I would soon too understand
The Big square state of mind

Years have passed and as you guessed
now I'd never leave my home
The left and right seem too uptight,
a girl needs some space to roam
The people here are tough as nails,
yet generous and kind

Thats just how you have to be
to have a Big square state of mind

An old friend came to visit me said she needed a break from life
and she too met a man here, and soon became his wife
she said that though she felt blessed she had found the perfect mate
she wasnt sure about living in a flyover state
I said it might take time to get used to
but Im sure that you'll find
the simple joys residing in,
the big square state of mind

No comments:

Post a Comment