Thursday, January 7, 2010

Old post Stitchery















My dear friend Christa Mastrangelo always had a way with words. Growing up, she was always cracking us up with made up lyrics to music, (for example, on the Hole song that sings "some day, you will ache like i ache," she sung the words "Some day, you will eat my brocoll-lay."
Which, explains, of course, why she is respected writer, poet, and professor today . Another one of her "Christa-isms" was her declaring that something was "as cute as a button on a pigeons nose!" I have been saying that now for years because of her. So, when she had her daughter and sent pictures, that was the first phrase that popped into my head, which inspired me to make this for little Ava's room.

To do this, I tea dyed some muslin, and then traced a picture of a pigeon onto the cloth. I then stitched the muslin to some very pretty pink and blue calico material, then framed the piece. To trace the picture, I simply taped up the picture of the pigeon to a well lit window, then taped the muslin over it so i could see the picture through it to trace.
If you have never stitched before, this website is most helpful. http://www.parddu.net/stitches.html
My mother-in-law was kind enough to teach me. Mostly i just stem stitch or blanket stitch. It doesnt need to get complicated. To add some interest, you can also paint inside your stitchery. I made a raggedy ann like this one for my mother in law, and put a little pink in its cheeks. I also stitched a quote that said "your hugs puts joy in all our days." The rooster i made for my mother and painted with just cheap acrylic paint.
Once you start, you'll start coming up with your own ideas. The fabric beneath this muslin inspired me to do this. I just layered fabric under the muslin.
Unlike cross-stitching, most projects take less than a few hours.
Heres a nice one my mother-in-law made for me, and Tigger loved it!. Some of my favorite websites for inspiration are http://www.chestnutjunction.com/FolkArtStitch.htmhtm,
http://folkstonehouse.com/wynter.html, and http://www.happyheartpatterns.com/stitchery.html.
I want to thank Alan for his hospitality this weekend at Paddy Malones Pub in Jefferson City. If you are ever in the area, check it out!
TONITES DINNER: Baked cod filets with diced tomatoes and cheese. (scratch that! Apparantly, you cannot substitute whiting for cod. It turned into a mushy soupy mess! Ive made this before with zucchini and cod, and it came out great. anyhoo......guess the hubby will be picking up dinner tonite!)

No comments:

Post a Comment